Editor & Publisher has a report on the survey. Scott said that he sent out the survey to 60 free dailies and received 19 responses. While not comprehensive, it gives a small snapshot of the landscape.
Bullet points from the survey include:
- • 16 free dailies have a distribution of 100,001 or more copies; 11 have circulations ranging from 50,001 to 100,000; 19 have circulations ranging from 10,001 to 50,000; and 14 have circulations of up to 10,000.
• Nearly one-third of free dailies are aimed at 18- to- 34-year old adults
• The average free daily employs 29 people
• 61% of free dailies distribute 95% or more of their copies
• 61% of free dailies do their own distribution while 39% outsource delivery
• More than half of all free dailies own their own presses
• National advertising accounts for 13% of advertising revenue. The Newspaper National Network represents about 11%